Saturday, October 27, 2007

Monsters in the Closet

Ya know, I thought that preparing for a move would be a pretty boring. Who knew that we would find excitement lurking around in our backyard shed.
A few weeks ago, Kris told me that there was a big spider in the shed. He seemed pretty freaked out by it, but he's afraid of spiders, so I didn't think much of it. Now, I don't mind spiders as long as they don't jump and aren't moving around real fast. The biggest spiders I've ever seen out here were about the size of a quarter and those suckers were fast. I haven't seen any big ones for at least a year, until today. I was cleaning out the kids' toys in the shed and that's when I see IT. Thankfully, it was behind a glass tabletop and couldn't eat me, so I called for Kris and told him to bring the camera.

I wish I could explain to you just how big IT was. To be honest, this is the biggest spider I have ever seen outside a zoo. The legs were incredibly long. IT didn't move for a long time and I asked Kris if it was alive. He said, 'IT's eyes are glistening. Dead spiders eyes don't glow like that.'

After looking around a bit more, we found a bunch of spider legs laying around. They eat their own kind!! Then with closer inspection, there was another IT getting ready to climb up the cooler. If you look in the picture, the cooler is in the foreground. Yep, so after that we got out of there. I think we're just going to call the Entomology people and see if they can come out and take care of them for us. Yikes!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barf. That's all I have to say about that. Barf.
Once when we went to the butterfly garden up by Ocean Expo, I sat down to nurse my third and in the corner of this little gazebo was a ginormous banana spider...just relaxing there. Barf.

TheGaffords said...

Creepy! Thanks; I'll be having nightmares about that big guy tonight. Good luck with that!

pchutsell said...

Hey, maybe we could cook him and sell him for lobster!!
Texas has nothing on okinawa!!

fosterheartsathome said...

yeah...we had a huge spider in my laundry room in FL...so big that Chris shot it with a bb gun and it screamed when he hit it! Who knew spiders could scream! Of course we also had citrus rats the size of cats and roaches the size of my toothbrush, which they often would sleep on! I hated living in FL! Ohh, It gives me chills just thinking about it!
K

pchutsell said...

Kris & Megan, Please don't bring those home for gifts! Love Mom H.

mi*chelle said...

YAY for coming home!
BOO to the creepy spider!
YAY for coming home, though!

Shoemaker Family said...

I could go without the updates if this is what you're going to post! :)

Todd and Micah said...

Holy crap, that sucker is huge! I can hear dad now, "Cool! Oh, he's not that big." Man, I get the shudders just looking at the pictures. I would have paid money to see Kris's face when he saw IT :)
Can't wait till you get home. It doesn't even seem possible. How did 3 years go by so fast? Too bad we won't see you for Thanksgiving, but I know Christmas is just around the corner. It's gonna be so great having my big sis back in the states. No more 12 hour time difference. Yipee! Love you.

Tasha said...

Oh my!Why would God feel the need to make a spider that big?Why?I think I would have either fainted or puked.I hope that he found a new home.And I hope you don't bring any of his relatives with you.We would love to see you guys when you come home.I know you will probably be very busy but if we could make it happen that would be great!I finally updated my blog.Check it out for some juicy info!

Shoemaker Family said...

You have got to post again so that creepy spider is not what I see everytime I look for an update!!!