Our cat, Sophie, likes to bolt out of the house as soon as she hears the door open. I tell the kids that she likes to go hang out with her friends. I'm pretty sure her 'friends' are all Tomcats. She usually comes back within a few hours or the next day so I don't really worry. Anyway, I've been trying to keep her in lately, but on Thursday afternoon she took off again. By now, it's Saturday afternoon and I'm starting to get a little worried about her. I just happened to go around the back of the house and there she was huddled in a corner and not moving.
When I picked her up she gave a faint meow and had a bite mark on the top of her head. Her eyes were real swollen and her head was about the size of an orange. I knew she had gotten bitten by a snake.
The habu (hah-boo) snake around here is a pit viper and can give a pretty nasty and painful bite. The people here talk about them all the time, but most of them have never seen one out in the wild. I never thought I would actually have to worry about them, but that all changed today. After a trip to the animal hospital, she is home now and we're hoping that she will make it. She did receive the antivenom and antibiotics, but it's no guarantee. I'll post an update on her later.
3 comments:
Megan, I hope your kitty will be okay. Did you find the snake? You sure have seen alot of things while you have been there! Never a dull moment! Love Meemaw H.
Oh no!! I can't imagine what my kids would do if that happened here. I hope Sophie is ok!! How are the kids dealing with it? How do you protect the kids while they are playing from those snakes?
I'm freaking out for you!!!!!!
That is so sad and more so when there are kids involved. I hope she comes through okay. I would be so worried about the kids out there, I hate snakes anyway and the only thing I've ever encountered were little gardner snakes. Joel and I will be thinking of you all. We recently lost a cat that we were pretty attached to so I can sympathize and I hope Sophie pulls through! Love you lots, Joel Katie and Chloe
ps Chloe sends wet sloppy kisses!
Post a Comment