Friday, December 29, 2006

Locked Out

Last night, I went out in town to the fabric store and took the baby with me. After I was finished, I went back out to the car, put Alivia in her seat and placed my keys, coat, and wallet in the front seat. I shut the door and the van re-locked itself. We've had trouble with the locks for a while, but nothing like this. So, there I was standing by the van with no way to get in. I peaked in at Alivia and she looked back at me like, 'okay mommy, let's go.'
It's one thing to lock your keys in your car, it's another when your kid's in there and the people who are trying to help you don't speak much English. I was using hand motions and I'm sure I looked like an idiot. Not only that, but I didn't know the number to call home. When you're off base, you have to dial an access number to call on base. I didn't even know the number to call the Japanese police. And no, it's not 911! After much commotion around the store, a Japanese man who spoke decent English offered me his cell phone. After explaining to him that I didn't know the access number, we brainstormed on what to do. By this time, Alivia had put herself to sleep and that made me feel better about her. He eventually found the operator number for Kadena Air Force Base and she transferred me to my home number.
I explained to Kris what happened and he loaded up the kids and came and got us. After it was all said and done, Alivia got in a good nap and Mommy's going to tattoo some important phone numbers on her arm.

4 comments:

TheGaffords said...

Oh, Megan. What an experience! I'm glad you and Alivia both survived!

mi*chelle said...

Wow...I can't imagine. At least she was sleeping and not screaming. That would have just compounded the problem! Happy New Year!

kristenlea47 said...

I hate when that happens.

Anonymous said...

Good one. I hope one day you can laugh about it.